Saturday 6 February 2010

Oh Please

This is the sign posted in M&S just below some crackers that they are selling for Valentines' Day:


I'll just quote that in full:
"Crackers are governed by the Explosives Act 1875 Fireworks (safety) regulations 2004. It is a criminal offence to sell a product containing explosive to any person under the age of 16 years."

Yes, you read that right. Our government spent its time in 2004 regulating the sale of crackers to under-16s.

It didn't take a long, hard look at regulating banks. Why should it do something like that?

It didn't look at Parliamentary expenses to check that they were reasonable and not being fiddled. Why should it do something like that?

It wasn't ordering helicopters for the Army in Afghanistan. Why should it do something like that?

(and so on....)

No, our wonderful government had solved every major problem, so that all that was left for it to do was to make sure that under-16s couldn't buy table crackers.

6 comments:

  1. This is the sign posted in M&S just below some crackers that they are selling for Valentines' [sic]Day

    There was I thinking you were complaining about the misuse of the Church's calendar. Valentine's Day is so pre-Vatican II. In the modern calendar he's been trumped by Ss.Cyril and Methodius, and as 14th February falls on a Sunday, they are trumped in turn by "6th Sunday in Ordinary time". So Valentine's Day cannot be kept this year. The only remnant of St Valentine's day is that this year, 14th February is kept as "Day for the Unemployed". Which I suppose is all Valentine's Day ever was for celibate clergy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed, Albert, by the length and detail of your response to a question that I did not raise.

    Have you ever considered a career in politics?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am appalled by the fact that you didn't raise so pressing and important a matter and rather commented on something entirely trivial.

    Presuambly you are already a politician.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no ambitions in that direction, Albert, bit if I were to be called to serve....

    ReplyDelete
  5. if I were to be called to serve....

    Would Mrs P agree?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I doubt it!

    (Not sure I would, I have to say!)

    ReplyDelete